The FUMC is now being fined for trash that is incorrectly placed in the dumpster that is intended for recycling.
This is part of a nation-wide crack down on harm being caused at recycling centers. Just one item of trash found in a recycling bin is causing an entire load to be treated as trash. Plastic bags and wires are shutting down entire recycling centers. Workers are being harmed by dangerous items found in recycling.
Please follow these rules when cleaning up after Fellowship Hour or any other activities where you bring trash and recycling into the alley dumpsters:
- DO recycle only empty plastic bottles, cans, paper and cardboard, after removing all traces or food and liquid.
- Do NOT include containers that still have food residue or contain liquids,
- Do NOT put recyclables into plastic bags.
- Do NOT recycle plastic bags.
- Do NOT recycle anything that is sharp or dangerous, such as needles or electronics.
- Do NOT recycle anything with “tanglers”, such as wires or rubber hoses.
The Trustees will be placing posters to help identify what belongs in the trash and what can safely be recycled. If you are not sure if an item is recyclable, then please place it in the trash.
You will help protect the recycling center while preventing us from being fined.
Thank you for your help!